No child’s play: One-year-old boy swallows venomous snakelet while playing in courtyard | Bareilly News

Lucknow


The boy bit the snakelet and had partially swallowed it when his mother happened to catch a foreign object int…Read More

BAREILLY: A one-year-old boy accidentally swallowed a snakelet while playing in the courtyard of his house in Bholapur village of Fatehganj (West) area in Bareilly district on Saturday afternoon.
The boy bit the snakelet and had partially swallowed it when his mother happened to catch a foreign object into his mouth. As she took the object out, she found it to be a baby snake and rushed the boy to a hospital, where he is under observation, at present.
Dharampal, a farmer, visited the Bareilly district hospital with his one-year-old son Devendra and a six-inch-long dead snakelet with him. Dharampal told emergency medical officer Dr Harish Chandra that his son had swallowed a snake and kept the dead snakelet on his table. The doctor immediately shared the information with physician Dr AM Agarwal and an anti-venom injection was administered to the boy and he was admitted to the emergency ward.
According to doctors, it was a krait hatchling, which is extremely poisonous, but the child is out of danger due to the timely treatment.
Dharampal told TOI, “My wife Somwati saw something squirming in Devendra’s mouth and when she took it out, she screamed with fear as it was a small snake that died soon. We rushed to a community health centre, but they sent us to the district hospital. We are praying for Devendra’s life.”
Senior IFS (Indian Forest Service) officer Ramesh Pandey told TOI, “Krait hatchlings and common wolf snake often look similar and differentiating them is extremely difficult because their skin patterns are almost the same. Krait hatchlings can claim human life, but wolf snakes are not lethal. But, there is no harm in administering anti-venom to the boy, as it doesn’t have a side effect.”



Source link